Sunday, May 19, 2013

Educational Technology Journey going strong! Spending the week researching about net generation. What is the premise for the term coined for individuals born after 1980. This is the generation also known as Millennials or GenY. The off springs of GenX in developing countries such as Canada, U.S.A, United Kingdom are disrupting the order within the social structure with their technological know how. They have a leverage on baby boomers and Gen X because they are born during the period of the internet revolution. The pervasiveness of technology that has saturated their world compares to no other time before. They have the upper hand in these times. Babies are introduced to technology at a much younger age than ever before. Technology grow with them, adapting at every stage in their development to suit their needs. The idea of "doing without" does not exist in the net generation mind around technology. Taking away their devices may cause anxiety and depression. This generation #netgen, genY, or mellinais do not know what its like living without some form of technology around.

Discussions:
What are your thoughts and ideas about the information presented on the #netgen? Do you consider yourself apart of the net generation even if you are born before 1980? If yes, why?

Share:
Share some of your experiences you've had with an individual born after 1980 and your observation of how they interact with technology. Then reflect on your life at the age of the individual you discussed and compare your experience with technology at the time. Consider the kinds of technology you interacted with, the amount of time, and how you used it.

1 comment:

  1. As a person who was born in the 80's, I would say the most exposure I had to technology was very simple computers with basic word processing and games such as word munchers and number munchers (anyone remember those?!). We had televisions, vcr's, tape cassette player, overheard projector, and of course the good old film strip player. I remember the school library having those audio-books and you could put the tape cassette in and listen with the headphones. As far as gaming goes, we had basic Nintendo at home with two games. This was as far as my exposure went when it came to technology. I would say I didn't feel like I was missing our or that I needed "more". I still remember the excitement I felt when we would see the tv cart with the vcr being rolled towards our classroom! We were appreciative of the technology we had. It wasn't until I was 16/17 that I got a computer, and then later on I received 'AOL CANADA" dvd in the mail so that I could get 640 hours of free dial up internet. That was the beginning for me. I remember in grade 11, being so amazed when people made Powerpoint presentions! These days, our grade 2 students can make fancy powerpoints and wikis. Technology has certainally come a LONG way from what it used to be. Our students today don't even know what a VHS and a tape cassette are! I wonder of the day when students will no longer know what a 'DVD" is! Those are some of my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete